Educational Media and Technology
The mission of the Master of Arts in Educational Media and Technology (EDMT) program is to prepare professionals who are capable of facilitating student learning in a variety of settings. The program, largely offered online, is designed to provide you with both the knowledge base and the application skills required to use technology effectively in education. Focusing on the design, development, utilization, management and evaluation of instructional systems moves us toward achieving this mission.
The master's in educational media and technology program focuses on the professional and effective use of technology in the classroom by educators, including administrators. Students who complete this program will be able to:
- Provide a rationale for using technology in the educational process;
- Identify contributions of major leaders in the field of educational media technology and instructional theory, and the effect of each leader on the field;
- Assess current trends in the area of educational media technology and relate the trends to past events and future implications;
- Integrate technology into instructional programs;
- Teach the operation and various uses of educational technology in instruction;
- Act as consultants/facilitators in educational media technology;
- Design and develop instructional products to meet specified needs; and
- Evaluate the effectiveness of instructional materials and systems.
The EMU College of Education is accredited the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and approved by the Michigan Department of Education for the preparation of educational personnel.
After completing the master’s in educational media and technology, Michigan teachers are already certified can apply for the educational technology endorsement.
Required EDMT Core (23 credits)
- EDMT 602 Technology and Student-Centered Learning (3); Prerequisite: Baccalaureate degree
- EDMT 603 Technology Enhanced Learning Environments (3); Prerequisite or Co-requisite: EDMT 602
- EDMT 623 Instructional Design and Development of Multimedia Instructional Materials (3); Prerequisites: EDMT 602 and EDMT 603
- EDMT 628 The Use and Design of Online Resources for Educators (3); Prerequisite: EDMT 623
- EDMT 627 Advanced Technical Issues in Educational Technology (3); Prerequisites: EDMT 602 and 603
- EDMT 632 Advanced Productivity Tools in Teaching and Learning (2); Prerequisite: Baccalaureate degree
- EDMT 653 Issues and Emerging Educational Technologies (3); Prerequisites: EDMT 602, EDMT 603, EDMT 623, EDMT 627, EDMT 628 and EDMT 632
- EDMT 695 Seminar in Educational Technology (3); Prerequisites: Admission to the EDMT master's program, completion of foundations courses and required EDMT core courses (excluding EDMT694/695). This course is only for students who intend to do their EDMT culminating project.
Foundations Courses (3 credits)
- EDPS 602 Psychology of the Adult Learner (3)
- EDPS 603 Principles of Classroom Learning (3)
Research Course (3 credits)
- EDPS 667 Principles of Educational Research (3)
- EDPS 677 Ed Research: Quantitative Methods (3)
- EDPS 687 Ed Research: Qualitative Methods (3)
Restricted Electives (1–3 credits)
- CURR 655 Curriculum Foundations (3)
- EDMT 590/591 Special Topics (1 or 2)
- EDMT 597/598 Independent Study (1 or 2)
- EDMT 679/680 Special Topics (1 or 2)
- SOFD 550 Philosophy, Ethics and Teaching (2)
- SOFD 572 History of American Schooling (3)
- SOFD 580 Sociology of Education (2)
For More Information
The Department of Teacher Education
Graduate Coordinator of Advising
Eastern Michigan University
John W. Porter Building – Suite 313
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
734.487.3260 | Fax: 734.487.2102
Read more information by downloading the fact sheet [PDF].