Postsecondary Planning Specialist Certificate Program
Extended Programs and Educational Outreach, in partnership with the Department of Leadership and Counseling, offers the postsecondary planning specialist certificate allowing school counselors to become postsecondary planning specialists. The online certificate is designed for individuals who already have, or are working toward, a master’s in school counseling and wish to gain additional expertise in helping students plan for postsecondary education and career opportunities.
The postsecondary planning specialist certificate is a 13 credit hour program may be taken during or after completion of a master’s degree in school counseling. Although emphasis is placed upon college as a postsecondary option with special attention to the Michigan College Access Network, the certificate also addresses the role of school counselors in helping students seek postsecondary training via community colleges, career colleges, trade schools, apprenticeships and the military.
The EMU College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and approved by the Michigan Department of Education for the preparation of educational personnel.
Program of Study
- COUN 612 The School Counselor (2)
- COUN 670 Postsecondary Planning for School Counselors (3)
- COUN 591 Special Topics: Educational Development Plans and Career Development in the Schools (2)
- COUN 672 College Exploration Resources and College Application Management for School Counselors (2)
- COUN 591 Special Topics: Financial Aid Foundations for School Counselors (1)
- COUN 591 Special Topics: School Counselor Foundations for Financial Aid and College Financing (2)
Total Credit Hours: 13fact sheet [PDF].